About Your Midwife
Direct Entry Midwife
Utah Doula Association’s Doula of Distinction for 2017
Certified Advanced Doula, CAD(MCU)
Certified HypnoDoula, CHD
The Bradley Method Instructor®, AAHCC
Placenta Encapsulation Specialist, PES
Certified Bengkung Belly Binding Practitioner
Specialties: Low-risk, VBAC, diabetes during pregnancy
My journey into birth work started before I became pregnant with my first baby. I knew that I wanted to have an un-medicated birth, and having Type 1 Diabetes would make it harder to achieve. During my research I realized that many women don’t know their options during childbirth and many don’t even realize they HAVE options. After having my eyes opened into this magical world of birth I could not close them again, nor did I want to. I want to help everyone to feel empowered, supported, knowledgeable, and excited for the birth of their baby.
I have supported many families and pregnant people in the hospital as a doula and after years of abuse of power from many providers, nurses, and hospital protocols, I could not sit back and witness it any longer. I realized I needed to be a part of the change. This has led me down the wonderful path of midwifery.
I am a trained, soon to be certified, skilled professional midwife in the height of my life’s passion. I am in my element when, after weeks of preparation and education, I see a client and their partner share a secret, knowing look of shimmering emotion that shows all their hard work paid off, in one of life’s most precious moments. I feel very strongly about being an advisor to birthing people so they can have the birth experience they desire, without unnecessary interventions due to lack of knowledge or support.
My goal as a midwife is simply to improve birth – by helping to reduce physical and emotional trauma, by empowering you through knowledge and practice, and to advocate for safer birth experiences led by your own body.
I have had all three of my children in the hospital as licensence midwives cannot take type 1 diabetic patients. My first was un-medicated, my second was a Cesarean section due to him being breech, and my third baby was an un-medicated VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). I also have personal and professional experience with diabetes during pregnancy and VBACs. I can skillfully educate on things that others may not have reason to know.
Karina is the former Chapter Leader of the Weber/Davis County ICAN Chapter and served on the board of the Utah Doula Association as President. She has also been nominated 6 times for the Utah Doula Association’s Doula of Distinction Award.
As passionate birth professionals, we are always on the lookout for ways to increase our knowledge, hone our skills and keep up on the latest research. Our education includes, but is not limited to:
- Monitrice training
- DONA Birth Doula Training
- Certified HypnoDoula
- Advanced Doula Certification through the Midwives College of Utah
- Multiple breastfeeding training workshops
- Training in essential oil use for pregnancy, labor, and postpartum
- Well versed in the Bradley® and Hypnosis methods (Hypnobabies and HypnoBirthing)
- Diabetes and Pregnancy instructor and creator
- The Bradley Method® Instructor
- Specialized training as well as personal and professional experience with high-risk pregnancies
- Diabetes and Pregnancy CEO and Instructor
- Rebozo certified
- Specialized training as well as personal and professional experience with diabetes during pregnancy
- Specialized training as well as personal and professional experience with Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- The VBAC Link certified VBAC doula
- Former President of the Utah Doula Association
- Apprenticed under Utah’s most experienced Midwives and doulas
- Many hours of experience as a volunteer doula at the University of Utah
- Proud members and supporters of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN)
- Former ICAN Chapter Leader of Weber/Davis County
- Working alongside and creating good working relationships with care providers to ensure the best birth team for you and your family
- People over 40
- Home birth
- Birth Center birth
- Hospital birth
- Clients on bed rest
- LGBTQ Families
- Relinquishing mothers
- Spanish speaking families
- BIPOC families
- Postpartum mood disorders
- Diabetes (Gestational, Type 1, and Type 2)
- Single people
- Cesarean birth
- Water birth
- Survivors of previous life trauma
- Plus size birthers
- Induced and high medical technology labor & birth
I enjoy helping expecting women be comfortable during their positive birth experience by providing women options for their custom birth gowns and birth ball covers. I would be delighted to assist you as you embark on this journey.